Mastering Test Management and Planning
This intensive 3-day tutor-led course focuses on the testing process, test management, standards and test process assessment and improvement, reviews, defect management, test tools & automation, incident management and people management, and involves theory, examples and hands-on exercises which delegates practice to help you practice the methods and techniques taught in the course.
The course is ideal for software testing professionals who are looking to take a more senior role, and provides the essential framework for prosperous test management. This training course goes above and beyond the ISTQB curriculum designed or test managers. In addition to the key areas that are vital for successful test management, the course addresses advanced individual skills to manage a test team and successfully deliver a software testing project, individual skills for testers and managers and motivation, test automation, modern industry trends and specific approaches to agile environment.
- Upon the successful completion of the course, the attendee should be able to:
- Develop and implement an effective test strategy.
- Identify and handle critical issues in specific test situations.
- Monitor the status of testing activities and software work products.
- Integrate testing into your software development process.
- Understand the Test Manager’s role in reviews and defect management.
- Learn how to create a customized Master Test Plan or Level-specific plans.
- Establish a realistic test approach and strategy, adapt the strategy as needed, based on situational feedback.
- Successfully manage software test efforts, time frames and resources required.
- Understand the concepts of Risk Management.
- Discover a practical risk analysis technique to prioritize your tests.
- Discuss methods for measuring the test effectiveness of your organization.
- Evaluate and improve your test process.
- Plan and implement test automation.
- Work productively with users, developers, and support staff.
- Gain management skills for monitoring and controlling progress throughout the development and test process.
- Develop new skills to lead your test team.
- The course is interactive and utilises multiple learning styles to increase the memory retention of the material.
Why should you attend
- This course is intended for Test Managers, Test Leads, and experienced QA Engineers tasked with developing testing strategy for their organization. It is designed for those professionals who are hoping to approach testing more strategically.
- Participants should be familiar with/have knowledge on Testing basic concepts, Testing fundamental processes, Testing lifecycle, Defect management principals and Requirement engineering.
- Demonstrations, hands on exercises, lecture segments and discussion retrospectives.
- Detailed and structure report from the course providing management with observations, potential risks and weaknesses, and ideas for improvements.
- Our training does not end once the course is complete. Our specialists are available to help transition information from the course into practical application.
- Test Management in Context
- Understanding Testing Stakeholders
- What is “good enough”?
- Developer/tester ratio
- Testing Process
- Test Planning, Monitoring and Control
- Test Analysis
- Test Design
- Test Implementation
- Test Execution
- Evaluating Exit Criteria & Reporting
- Test Closure Activities
- Testing and Quality
- Cost of Quality — Economics of test and failure
- Business Value of Testing
- Goals vs priorities
- Preventive testing
- Test Management
- Alignment of Test Activities with Other Lifecycle Activities
- Entry/ Exit Criteria, Definition of Ready/Definition of Done
- Test Estimation
- Predicting Release Dates
- Managing Non-functional Testing
- Managing Experience-Based Testing
- Defining and Using Test Metrics
- Agile Burn Down and Burn Up Charts
- Distributed, Outsourced and Insourced Testing
- Industry Standards
- Test Documentation and Other Work Products
- Test Policy, Test Strategy, Master Test Plan and Level Test Plan
- Test Progress Report and Test Summary Report
- Testing Strategy and Test Approach
- Different Types of Test Strategies
- Regression Strategy
- Automation Strategy
- Performance Test Strategy
- Risk-based Testing
- Why Risk-Based Testing
- What is a Risk
- Risk Management Process
- Test Prioritization and Effort Allocation in the Test Process
- Management Reviews and Audits
- Managing Reviews
- Metrics for Reviews
- Managing Formal Reviews
- Defect Management
- The Defect Lifecycle
- Defect Report Information
- Assessing Process Capability with Defect Report Information
- Improving the Test Process
- Improving Processes
- Improving the Testing Process
- Improving the Testing Process with TMMi
- Improving the Testing Process with CTP
- Improving the Testing Process with STEP
- Industry specific Test Process Improvement
- Test Tools and Automation
- Tools Selection
- Toolss Return of Investment
- Tool Lifecycle
- Tool Metrics
- Tools Issues
- People Skills and Team Composition
- Individual Skills
- Test Team Dynamics
- Fitting Testing Within an Organization
- Career Paths for Testers
Bratislava/Košice/Onsite (on request)
Petr Neugebauer, top-tier consultant who holds ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation level – Agile Tester Extension, ISTQB Certified Tester Advanced level – Test Manager and ISTQB Certified Tester Expert Level – Improving the Testing Process certifications.
- Training materials
- Refreshment during the course
- Certificate of attendance
The fee for certification exam is not included. Fee for Certification for ISTQB Advanced Level – Test Manager is 180 EUR and can be ordered as a package, or you can book certification on your own through CASTB, following their exam calendar.
Please note, the training will take place in case of min. 5 attendees.
- Level: Intermediate.
- This is not an introductory course. A minimum 24 months of experience in testing, test management, QA, or engineering is required.
- Certificate of Completion: YES.